Insider Interviews: Anabel Kingsley: Trichologist
Anabel is the closest you can get to hair royalty: having grown up watching her father Philip Kingsley treat patients & develop products, she is now the President of Philip Kingsley & a hugely sought after Trichologist. Here, she shares her top tips for healthy hair.by Amy Wilson Wyles
Job Title: Consultant Trichologist & Brand President
Famous For: Being a hair & scalp expert (aka a Trichologist)
Clients/Fans Include: As a company, we do not name names, but people who have themselves publicly mentio
ned coming to the Clinic and using our products include Georgia May Jagger, Cate Blanchett & Gwyneth Paltrow
Years in the Industry: 10
I knew I wanted to follow my father into trichology when I started working at reception at his New York Clinic. I saw first-hand how much a person’s confidence is boosted by improving their hair and scalp health – and I wanted to be able to have this positive impact on people’s self-esteem too. It became clear to me why my father loved his work so much.
For good hair I try to eat a balanced diet. I never skip breakfast as this is the most important meal of the day for your hair. Energy directed to your strands is lowest first thing in the morning.
We often send our Clinic clients for blood tests. The most important levels to check for are Iron, Ferritin (stored iron), Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Thyroid levels.
People don’t realise that hair is a window to your health. Being non-essential tissue, it’s the first part of us to suffer when something is amiss internally.
My own hair care routine sees me shampooing and toning my scalp daily (our scalp is skin and we take our hair & scalp to the same places we take our face!) I also use a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment and scalp mask twice a week. Like the skin on our face, our scalp (and hair) benefit from weekly intensive TLC.
For truly healthy hair you should:
1. Eat a healthy, balanced diet & don’t skip meals. Hair is non-essential tissue, so if you aren’t eating well, your hair is the first part of you to feel the effects.
2. Snack between meals. Energy to form hair cells drops four hours after eating.
3. Take a protein supplement. Your strands are made of protein & hardly anyone eats enough protein from a hair health standpoint. I love our PK4 Soy Protein Boost.
4. Shampoo regularly. This helps to keep your scalp healthy, which is vital to hair growth.
5. Use a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment once to twice a week (twice if your hair is very dry and damaged). Doing so will increase your hair’s elasticity, manageability & strength.
6. Stress less. Stress can have a negative impact on both hair growth & scalp health. I recommend my clients do Yoga or Pilates a couple of times a week – plus download mindfulness apps like Headspace and Calm.
1. Philip Kingsley Elasticizer pre-shampoo conditioning treatment. This is my desert island hero product! It restores even the most parched, brittle and damaged hair, leaving it shiny, strong, elastic and bouncy. It was originally made for Audrey Hepburn.
2. Philip Kingsley Bond Builder Split End Remedy. Newly launched, this weightless serum is formulated with next generation bond building technology. It seals 98.6% of split ends and prevents them from breaking further up the hair shaft. Plus, it strengthens the hair’s internal structure to help stop future breakage. As an added bonus, Bond Builder heat protects up to 220C.
3. Philip Kingsley Tricho 7 Scalp Drops. Our daily-use serum helps to keep my scalp in optimal condition. I think of it as an anti-ageing serum for my scalp.
4. Philip Kingsley Perfecting Primer Heat Protection Spray. This is my post-shower must have as it instantly gets rids of tangles and primes my hair for the perfect, bouncy blow dry.
5. Philip Kingsley Blonde Booster Weekly Intensive Shampoo and Mask.Weekly use of these purple hued gems keep my highlights bright and heathy in-between colour appointments.
Frankie at Daniel Galvin. She is great at cutting and styling and, most importantly, I trust her fully; she never takes off more than I am comfortable with! i.e. an inch is just an inch.
Gemma at Daniel Galvin. Hands down, she the best colourist I have ever been to. She is great at blending and making highlights look natural – my mother and sister also go to her. At home, I use Philip Kingsley Weekly Blonde Booster Shampoo and Mask to keep my highlights bright.
Philip Kingsley Hair & Scalp Spa Treatment, at our Mayfair Clinic, London. Not only does this get my hair and scalp in tip-top shape, it’s also highly relaxing. At home, I use Elasticizer and Stimulating Scalp Mask.
Dr. Conal Perrett, London. Has the coolest laser in town: the AerolaseLaser. This instantly brightens skin and has no down time. At home, I use Zo Skin Health Enzymatic Peel once a week, and Jan Marini Step 3 every day.
Workout Spot/Exercise Class/Personal Trainer
Currently I am going for daily strolls and trying to do Pilates at home.
My husband! Or, if he is unavailable, The Wellness Clinic at Harrods.
Favourite Spa Destination
The Mandarin Oriental Hotel, London
Get In Touch
London Clinic: 54 Green Street, Mayfair, W1K 6RU
For enquiries, to book a consultation or for UK telephone orders:
Telephone: 0207 629 4004